Press: Five Star Publications, Inc.; 1st edition (October 29, 2011)
Author Name:Exley, Lynda
WHAT IS THIS BOOK ABOUT?Although its target audience is grade-school children, Arizona Way Out West & Wacky is as appealing to adults as it is to kids.
Highlights of Arizona's history are punctuated with true but gross, humorous, interesting and wacky stories and facts about the Grand Canyon State.
Readers learn: What Geronimo and yawning have in common.
Why sleeping in wet sheets didn t mean you had a nighttime accident.
What a glass eye has to do with Phoenix being Arizona s state capital How many teachers it would take standing head-to-toe to go from the bottom to the top of the Grand Canyon.
Which Arizona city got its name by accident and much, much more! But it takes more than amusing writing and fascinating facts to keep children's attention, so the AZ WOWW award-winning creative team added word searches, crossword puzzles, coloring pages, recipes, crafts and more to the mix.
WHAT MAKES THIS BOOK UNIQUE?All creative members of the AZ WOWW team have garnered numerous awards in their fields: authors Conrad Storad and Lynda Exley for writing and editing, illustrator Michael Hagelberg for design and illustrations, Linda Radke for publishing and marketing, and curriculum writer Jean Kilker, a former Follett Librarian of the Year.
The ideal Arizona travel companion for kids, AZ WOWW, which was designated an official Arizona Centennial Legacy Project by the Arizona Historical Advisory Commission, also makes a terrific gift from Arizona grandparents to give to their out-of-state grandchildren.
Plus, teachers will be amazed at how AZ WOWW's entertaining, yet educational format will jumpstart history learning in their classrooms by demonstrating to students just how much fun learning history can really be.
AZ WOWW is one history book children will actually WANT to read!
From the Inside Flap
Arizona Way Out West & Wacky, an Official Arizona Centennial project, is filled with true, but humorous, gross, interesting and wacky stories and facts.
The engaging children's book makes learning about Arizona's history fun with 60+ amusing activities including word searches, crossword puzzles, coloring pages, games, recipes, crafts and more.
AZ WOWW was specifically designed to make kids want to learn about Arizona's exciting history.
Complementing the book is Johnny "JR" Ringo, a costume character representing Arizona's Official State Mammal, who can accompany AZ WOWW's authors.
All six members of AZWOW's creative team have won multiple awards for their crafts.
About the Author
Storad: A multi- award-winning author and Arizona's most popular writer of science and nature books for young readers.
He has more than 50 titles to his credit, as well as having a 25-year stint at Arizona State University, primarily as director of Arizona State University's Office of Research Publications.
Lynda Exley: Also a multi award-winning writer and editor.
She has more than 15 years of experience working for well-known parenting magazines and newspapers.
Children's Books,Science, Nature & How It Works,Mystery & Wonders,Education & Reference,History,United States,State & Local,Geography & Cultures,Explore the World,United States
PDF Download And Online Read: Arizona Way Out West & Wacky: Awesome Activities, Humorous History and Fun Facts
Comment List (Total:16)
- I loved this book! Living in Arizona is fun and adventurous, and I want my kids to know as much about the state as they can. WOWW makes it fun for kids to learn about their state through interesting facts, recipes, and activities.My favorite is when the book explains that the Grand Canyon is as deep as 1,125 female teachers (average height of 5ft 4in) standing on each other's heads! What a great way to provide visual information for kids to relate to! This book is easy for kids to understand and perfectly eared towards elementary schools, but can be used in the middle schools as well. I have even learned a few things!
- This is an excellent resource to have as a mom and a teacher! My 5 year old son and I have enjoyed looking through this book and stopping to read about the things he finds...
- This is an excellent book that is full of humor and can be used for a variety of ages. I loved all of the fun facts, wonderful activities, and yummy recipes.
- Arizona WOWW is a great book that provides interesting facts and a variety of fun activities about Arizona.
- This workbook about Arizona would make a welcome addition to any child's collection. It is factual, informative, and interesting, even to someone who's lived in AZ her whole life. Each chapter consists of a short (1-2 pages) article that would be age-appropriate for an upper-elementary school student, or a younger student working with an adult. I like the length of the chapters and that each chapter tackles a specific topic and includes an activity. This is a workbook that a child could grow with as younger children could color the pages and point out different things then as he or she got older they could understand the passages and complete the activities.Overall, it's a fun workbook that kids everywhere could benefit from and would make a nice supplement in Arizona classrooms.
- "Arizona Way Out West& Wacky" had intriguing facts and great topics. The kids enjoyed the pictures and learning more about the place they live.
- My children enjoy fascinating stories about interesting places and this book, Arizona way out west wacky or AZWOWW was really fun for them.
- I love this book! It is a great resource for elementary level students learning about Arizona. As a middle school teacher, I cannot use much from the book, but I can modify a few...
- This book is a great source on information having to do with the state of Arizona. Although the majority of the activities and information are geared toward a younger audience, I...
- Excellent kids book for learning abt AZ for school book report. Informative and fun. Easy to understand. Fun activities. Interesting facts.
- I was pleasantly surprised when I received this book. At first glance, you would think it's just a coloring book for kids, but it is packed full of cool trivia that is interesting to kids and adults alike. Not being from Arizona and not being one who loves the heat and the desert, I have found a little bit of love for this state because of this book. My toddlers really enjoy learning about all the different animals and coloring the amazing illustrations. From the flora and fauna to the gorgeous Grand Canyon, this book has a lot to offer, just like Arizona!
- Loved the humor and interesting facts provided throughout the book. While the longer reading passages and activities lend themselves to elementary-age children, my 3-year-old daughter loves coloring and learning bits of information about the animals, plants and people throughout the book. As a native Arizonan myself, I have been learning new information as well. I'm excited for my daughter to have a strong knowledge of our state and plan on sending a couple copies to my nephews who live in TN, who I'm sure will find the "wacky" component to this book to be very entertaining.
- This book is a nice break from the traditional information on the Grand Canyon State. In school I remember learning about the 5 C's, flag, state bird, plant, etc. In college it was all about the AZ Constitution. This book is filled with fun facts as a native I never knew. Did you know the ringtail is the official mammal of AZ? The book presents the information in a fun and interesting way that will engage your kids. Bake up biscuits, make a corn husk doll, or spend some time coloring the beautiful black and white print pages.
- The WOWW is a good resource for elementary age children. My 8 and 5 year old like the stories and pictures. I like the recipes and activities they can do! Good find!