Press:Harpercollins Childrens Books Avon Books (April 1, 1994)
Author Name:DeFelice, Cynthia C.
For Ben, there's more involved in the annual Striped Bass Derby than catching the biggest fish.
He's proud of the fact that no one has ever beaten his father's record which was won before Ben was born.
But now Ben overhears two men plotting to win the prize money by cheating! Ben has to stop them, at all costs, but bringing the men to justice turns out to be a chase that almost costs him his life.
"A fast easy read with an appealing main character" -- -- Booklist"Fast paced and involving!" -- -- School Library Journal
About the Author
Cynthia DeFelice is the highly acclaimed author of eight novels for young readers, including The Ghost of Fossil Glen, which received a starred review in SLJ and a boxed review in Booklist, and The Apprenticeship of Lucas Whitaker, which was named an ALA Notable Book and a SLJ Best Book of the Year.
Children's Books,Mysteries & Detectives,Action & Adventure,Literature & Fiction
PDF Download And Online Read: Devil's Bridge (Avon Camelot Books)
Comment List (Total:8)
- Great ! Came as ordered
- This book was very interesting. I was always guessing what would happen next. I would have never guessed the ending. DeFelice, the author of the book, writes with a unique style. She finds a way to put a twist in the ending. I also liked this book because of the main character. To really understand the ending, you first have to understand the character. Ben is a character that people can relate to. Even though his problem would not happen to anybody else, a person can relate to his inner struggles. Reading this book did not take long for me. Although it was only 95 pages, I did not want to put it down. A very well put together book, you must read it.
- As an English teacher, I am always searching for books my kids will enjoy reading. Devil's Bridge is a winner---it's fast paced, suspenseful, has believable characters, and explores some themes that kids can relate to: dealing with a beloved parent's death, honesty, etc.It's a quick read, too, and that alone might make it appealing to reluctant readers.
- I liked this book because I like fishing. It has a lot of adventure when he tried to turn in the people who were cheating. The descriptions tell a lot about what happens when they announced the biggest fish. Right when I saw the title "Devil's Bridge" it caught my eye on the shelf. I really liked this book.
- this is a good book about a boy that likes to go fishing in the ocean and he earns money to enter a fishing contest.
- We had to read this book in school and I was glad that the school finally picked a good book for us to read! The author makes it so realistic and you can't put the book down because it is so good. The author has a way of getting you interested and it keeps you guessing until the end. This is a great book for people who like to read and people who don't like to read.
- I really liked this book. I was enthralled with the story of 13 year old Ben and his summer on Martha's Vineyard. His adventures with Jeff and Donny kept me reading straight to the end. The characters were great, the plot was gripping; overall, I would recommend this book.
- This is a good book and I had fun reading it. But there were some parts that I didn't understand, like what Mercury was. The rest of the book was really great. All the parts about all the fish got me really excited(I even asked my mom to take me fishing). I learned alot about new kinds of fish, new ways how to fish and many new different kinds of bait and lures. This is a good book for kids and grownups that are into fishing.