Press:Simon & Schuster Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (December 26, 2006)
Author Name:Ryder, Joanne/ Moore, Margie (ILT)
There are so many bears in the world dear, but there's no other one that will do.
You are the bear of my heart, dear, and I am the one who lives you.
Every mother makes promises to share the joys and wonders of the world with her children and Mother Bear is no exception.
As Mother Bear introduces her child to the hills, lakes, caves and starry nights, she reminds Baby that no matter what, he will always remain the bear of her heart and she will always be there for him.
With Joanne Ryder's heartfelt lyrical text and adorable illustrations by Margie Moore, this beautiful hardcover is now available in board book and is perfect book for sharing on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, or any day of the year!
From School Library Journal
PreS—A simple tale of a mother's love for her child.
The story, in one-line rhyming verse, is told from the point of view of a mother bear.
She promises her cub all of life's simple pleasures (splashing in streams, gazing at stars, snuggling and hugging) that they can share.
And of course, there is the reassurance that no matter how old the cub gets, or how far it wanders, the mother's love will last "forever and ever,/for YOU are the bear of my heart." This book covers ground already well trod by Sam McBratney's Guess How Much I Love You (Candlewick, 1995), Nancy Tafuri's I Love You, Little One (Scholastic, 1998), and Margaret Wise Brown's The Runaway Bunny (HarperCollins, 1942).
Moore's illustrations, rendered in watercolor, are dominated by the bears, which helps to reinforce the all-encompassing relationship between the two.
This book will appeal to new mothers and is suitable for lap-time sharing.—Kara Schaff Dean, Needham Public Library, MA Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc.
All rights reserved.
About the Author
Joanne Ryder is the award-winning author of numerous children's books about the natural world, including Little Panda: The World Welcomes Hua Mei at the San Diego Zoo.
Some of her other books include Bears Out There, Chipmunk Song, The Snail's Spell, and White Bear, Ice Bear.
Before becoming a full-time writer, Joanne worked as a children's book editor in New York City.
She lives in California.
Children's Books,Animals,Bears,Growing Up & Facts of Life,Family Life,Parents,Literature & Fiction,Poetry
PDF Download And Online Read: Bear of My Heart
Comment List (Total:13)
- Touching story in verse, adorable illustrations. Read it aloud to the bears of MY heart--one in her 20's and one in his 40's-- and cry every time I get to the part that says no matter how big you may grow, or whether we're near or apart, I will love you forever...I need more copies of this book for gifts- I hope it will be reissued.
- First read this with my 1 1/2 year old granddaughter after checking it out from the library. She loved it. I loved it. We bought it.
- my favorite kids book! great as gifts for family and friends
- This is a perfect gift to give to a college student about to leave home for the first time, giving your child a constant reminder of how much they are loved, and that you will...
- Really love this book!
- bought this book for my 2yr old daughter for valentine's day. we love reading it together. such a sweet book.
- I checked this book out from our local library and my (18 month old) daughter and I loved reading it so much I had to buy it. This is a sweet rhyming story about a mama (or daddy) bear and a baby bear. Each page focuses on a different part of their relationship (telling stories, being silly, sharing secrets, snuggling) and how the parent bear will always love the baby bear. The short rhyming sentence on each page flow nicely making for a quick, but entertaining read that even the squirmiest toddler can sit through. This is a perfect bedtime story and worthy of nightly readings.
- Very sweet book. I love reading it to my little one. Great quality all around
- My cousin, a young mother, first found this at the library and fell in love with it. I couldn't find it in the stores, so ordered it here. She cried when she opened it.
- I was given this as a gift when my daughter was born and we read it so often that I now recite it to her from memory with or without the book. The cadence of the verse is very soothing to her and to other children. My husband and I are foster parents and we recite this prose to many small children who come through our doors. I recently bought this copy to give to a baby who left the nest to start a new life with her biological father. "No Matter How Big You May Grow Dear or Whether We're Near or Apart, I Will Love You Forever and Ever for You are the Bear of My Heart."
- This story is so lovely and beautiful. It touches my heart every time I read it to my children. Unlike "The Night You Were Born" and some of the other mushy ones, my kids actually enjoy reading this book. They like the pictures of the bears and like to compare them to us. So cute! So sentimental!
- What a great learning book, brings tears to your eyes and just the best book I have read and been able to give to my grand kids.
- My family LOVES this book! I checked it out of the Library and brought home for my sister in-law and her daughter (my niece) and it really touched her heart.