Press: Turtleback Books: A Division of Sanval (September 1991)
Author Name:Cole, Joanna (COM)/ Calmenson, Stephanie (COM)/ Tiegreen, Alan (ILT)
A companion to the best-selling Anna Banana: 101 Jump-Rope Rhymes, here is a collection of nearly forty fingerplays and action rhymes that have been chanted, sung, and enjoyed for generations.
Children and their parents can join the eentsy, weentsy spider in its climb up the waterspout, pretend to pound in a nail while singing "The Hammer Song," and tip their bodies over for "I'm a Little Teapot."Included are such favorites as "The Wheels on the Bus," "This Old Man," "This Is the Church," and "Where Is Thumbkin?" as well as such lesser-known rhymes as "My Hat" and "Birthday Cake." So say them, sing them, act them out -- action rhymes are fun for everyone!
Children's Books,Activities, Crafts & Games,Games
PDF Download And Online Read: The Eentsy, Weentsy Spider: Fingerplays and Action Rhymes
Comment List (Total:16)
- This book contains 38 finger plays, from the well-known (I'm a Little Teapot) to ones I've never heard of (Here are Mother's Knives and Forks). Each is in big type with large illustrations to show you how to do the fingerplay. For those that are sung, musical arrangements are at the back of the book, along with a bibliography and index.Excellent resource for the fingerplay challenged!
- This book contains 38 fingerplays, action rhymes, and songs that kids have sung for generations. I've used this book with campers, Sunday School classes, my own children and...
- This is a gift for the new parent who may not know all the rhymes. A gift that keeps on giving after the first child.
- This is the best collection of fingerplays you will find. I know, because as a children's writer, I am always on the lookout for them.
- This book has some fun songs and is very easy to follow because it depicts the hand motions well. Some are songs and some are poems. The songs have the tunes included in case you don't remember (or if it's a new-to-you song). My 5 month old likes watching my hands and likes hearing me sing to him. I foresee this being a book I will reference for a long time!(I did get a used copy, FYI. I don't think it's worth the full price amount.)
- I appreciate the music scores at the back so there is no question about the tunes for the songs.
- A fun, interactive book. Highly recommended
- This book is okay. The illustrations are black and white and a bit boring. I was disappointed when I didn't receive this copy, I actually received a much older copy than the one I...
- Some really great ideas for my storytime.
- We have a 2 and 3 year old. My 3 year old especially loves this book. It shows you all the finger/hand actions to do during the songs in a really easy way to understand. Also, I like how the book is all black and white. I don't know a lot of these action rhymes so I can keep the book out for reference for me while we are using it - but the pictures don't really captivate my kids enough for it to distract them from what I'm trying to show them.
- This book is very cute and easy to follow. It is a good book to give at a baby shower instead of a card. It also makes a nice little present for the expecting grandparents.
- We love to sing in our home and this book was a big hit. I got it for my 2 year old and he's now 3 and we still pull it out to sing our favorites. He's the perfect age to do all the motions now. Great book and it's nice to finally know all the words to the songs!
- Sometimes with kids you just say, "Hm, what will I do with you right now?'This book is a great answer to that question. It's an oldie, but goodie - so be prepared for some dated looking little drawings, but some great ideas. My daughter is a year old and I like having inspiration for new songs and little hand motions to do with her while we hang out on the couch, ride the bus, or sit in a waiting room. It has been fun remembering some old songs ("Where Is Thumbkin?") and learning some new ones too.
- I'm a grandma of eight who spent many an airline flight with one or more grandchildren in tow. From six months to even nine years, this book really entertains children. They love the poems and the action. Just be sure all keep their "inside voices" on the plane. The book is also great for auto trips and waiting for doctor appointments.My copy is tattered and for a long time I could not find this book anywhere and assumed it was out of print. I was so happy to find it on Amazon last month. It's a wonderful gift for weary mothers. Even tired and cranky children respond with smiles.M.C. Wolf
- Great resource for my prek kids at school. A teacher must!
- I love the ideas this book has for kids.